"Detoxification" is more accurately defined as the mobilization and elimination of waste, toxins, pathogens, and other unwanted debris from your body.
In a world where we are continually exposed to environmental toxins, chemicals and pollutants, the need to detoxify on an annual basis is a prerequisite for optimal health. Both for prevention and to deal with specific health conditions, detoxification is an essential process for everyone - the young, the elderly and most importantly for those with chronic health issues.*
In fact, the recovery of every chronic health condition including weight-loss requires detoxification and cleansing of our eliminating organs and the lymphatic system. Often the reason people can't lose weight despite better dietary habits and exercise is due to poor digestion and poor liver function - two conditions easily resolved by cleansing and detoxification the colon and liver. It could be said that besides poor eating habits, toxic accumulation in our tissue and organs IS the cause of most chronic health conditions we face today.*
- Inflammation in the joints and tissue is largely due to accumulated toxins.*
- Headaches and skin diseases are often signs of toxins in our blood due to an congested and overloaded liver.*
- Swelling, skin rashes, cellulite and tissue inflammation are often signs of a congested lymphatic system.*
- Excessive water retention, puffiness and dark circles under the eyes are often signs of poor kidney function.*
- Cognitive problems, brain fog, skin conditions and inflammation can often be improved with heavy metal detoxification.*
- Many digestive conditions including chronic diarrhea, constipation and even food allergies are generally eliminated with intestinal cleansing.*
What are the keys to facilitating a good detox?
Most detoxification treatments or "cleanses" do not go far enough. To get the most out of a "detox" be sure all these components are included in the cleanse:
- Address the blood sugar
- Restore proper eliminative function
- De-stagnate the lymphatic system
- Cleanse the liver
- Flush the bile and reset the digestive fire
Additionally, a detoxification and cleansing program needs to be tailored to an individual's current health condition; body-type (dosha), the season and the organs needing support. Many packaged cleanses can be harmful at most or completely inappropriate in the least.
Benefits of Proper Detoxification:
Generally, to detoxify the body it is advisable to begin with a thorough colon cleanse especially for those who have chronic digestive complaints, excessive body weight or a history of constipation. Everyone benefits from improved liver function and reducing any gallbladder congestion so I often recommend a liver cleanse with a gallbladder flush at least once. A kidney and bladder cleanse with a focus on reducing kidney stones is valuable for many health conditions including high blood pressure, frequent urination and UTIs. For those with cognitive issues or testing high in heavy metals my Natural Heavy Metal Detox is very effective.* Additionally, I provide Ayurvedic Detoxification - Panchakarma which is particularly beneficial for deep detoxification of muscles, joints and nerves.
Note: There are some fad detoxes out there. If a detox has you taking nothing but supplements, or it contains just a handful of foods, it probably won't give you the long term results you are looking for. A good detox will allow you to eat various foods from healthy categories like vegetables, fruit and good quality protein like mung beans, and include some herbs which are necessary to detox organs and systems. Juice cleanses are fine for a few days. They are not appropriate for long term detoxification as your body needs the amino acids from protein to detoxify the liver.