How to Activate Your Fat Burning Hormones?
By Khabir Southwick
Here is my very effective 3-step fat burning approach:
STOP consuming ALL sugar!
- No starchy veggies.
- No fruit juice at all and only fruit low in sugar like apples.
- No sweets of any kind or any product with any type of sugar or sweetener (OK, some stevia and a little honey is fine).
- No alcohol, cookies, candy, cereals, processed foods with added sugar, etc. Nothing with sugar.
Why? Because if your body has simple carbohydrates then it will just use the calories or energy from this source and not bother burning any existing fat reserves.
Don't bother with further steps until you have completed step #1!
Eat A LOT of vegetables with beans.
- Have greens for breakfast, (fried or steamed is fine, even juiced is ok).
- Have large salads for lunch and dinner (follow individual body-type recommendations).
Half your plate for each meal should be vegetables!
Prefer raw vegetables and steamed cruciferous vegetables.
Why? Because it takes more calories or energy to digest raw vegetables and with their high fiber makes them very cleansing, thus perfect for weight-loss. Easy, eat LOTS of greens!
Juicing vegetables every day helps too but without the fiber it is not as cleansing as fresh veggies. If you have blood sugar issues, focus on dark greens. Celery, kale, parsley, spinach are the best. For a heavier juice with more protein add asparagus, string beans and cauliflower. To sweeten it up use limes not carrots, beets or apples. To replace a meal just add about 6 tablespoons of hemp seeds and a couple teaspoons of freshly ground flax seeds.
Use only vegetable protein, reduce carbohydrates and add healthy oil/fat
- Stop all animal protein and replace with legumes: Beans (kapha-type and Pitta-type) and lentils (Vata -type).
- Use coconut oil instead of butter, and sunflower oil instead of olive oil
- Gradually reduce carbohydrates such as rice and other whole grains to half servings (1/2 of a fist size)
Prefer meals of beans or lentils with lots of veggies and a small portion of whole-grains with a little oil
Why? Your body needs protein to build new muscle and tissue as a result of the light weight training. Both protein and oil (fat) are very satisfying for the body and takes away cravings.
Remember, there must be some oil and a good portion protein with each meal.
Otherwise, you will become nutritionally deficient and will start craving more carbs, and we know that leads to fast weight gain!
Stick to a tight eating schedule
- Never eat after 7pm even fruit. Try to eat earlier like 5 or 4.
- Drink only water with lemon or herbal teas between meals; no fruit juices etc.
- Eat 3 small meals a day or just 2 meals, or just have a salad for dinner. In other words: EAT LESS!
Why? The body burns fat between meal so the longer you can make the space between meals the more fat you will burn. But don't skip meals even breakfast. Do a late breakfast and early dinner or skip dinner sometimes. No matter what, don't start snacking on "healthy" snacks. You need to be cooking and preparing two or three complete meals each day. Also don't start juicing every meal and not using a plate! Cook, prepare, sit down, eat slowly and when you are starting to feel full, stop. Simple.
You may have to work at this for a few weeks or even a month.
Add some light weight training and/or juice fasting
Do 30 minutes every other day
- Do 10 minutes of solid cardio first, like running in place or biking to break a sweat and get your heart rate up
- Do at least two sets each and rest 1- 2 minutes in between sets
- Each set should be until you have some muscle strain (work up to it).
- Do some cardio to warm up and cool down but focus on the weight training to build muscle.
You don't need a gym to to do this, just run in place, use a step or go up stairs etc. and then lift some weights or some big cans of beans! Just works those muscles!
If you cannot work out everyday, then the next option is to do juice fasts and eat only two meals a day. Make your choice, workout or eat a lot less.
- A juice fast will further "force" the body to lose more weight if this type of therapy is suitable or even necessary.
If you remove all foods high in sugar, starchy veggies, sweet fruits especially the juice, snacking, and half of your carbs especially gains and rice, and then workout with light weights for 30 minutes every other day, the body will build new muscle from the protein and burn fat for energy for the next 12-48 hours after the workout.
This protocol is the final focus of my weight loss program since good eating habits, food combining and meal planning should be done first. Additionally, a colon cleanse and liver detoxification are absolutely necessary to successfully lose weight and naturally keep it off. Thus, digestion and eliminate must good as well as sleep. Just as important, a person should be nutritionally sound without nutritional deficiencies and have good energy levels before following this program.
See details of Khabir's Weight-loss program here.
The best food for weight-loss:
- Applies – High fiber – the perfect snack.
- Legumes – The perfect protein source (instead of animal protein), high in fiber and very filling.
- Barley, millet or quinoa – Much better grains than wheat and oats,
- Celery – High fiber low calories – juice with celery as the base, then add your greens
- Lemon juice – Helps to burns fat and reduces congestion!
- Flax seeds – High in fiber and Omega 3s – Add to smoothies, juices and other foods liberally.
- Coconut oil – Use for cooking instead of butter.
- Pungent spices – Liberally use cayenne, black pepper and garlic powder as they help burn fat.
- Kelp and other sea veggies – Us on salads and meal. High in iodine for the thyroid and other nutrients.
- Cabbage - A great fat burner. Have a whole meal of cabbage for dinner!
- Garlic – Lowers fat lipid levels in the blood, improves cardio function, burns fat (not for Pitta types)
Foods to avoid:
Dairy especially cheese, all meat including fish and chicken, bread, pasta, bananas, too much fruit, fruit juices, anything with sugar, starchy root vegetables especially potatoes and anything with wheat or oats.
Note on fiber: A high fiber diet is essential for weight loss and regular elimination. Fiber also acts as a brake on the rate of entry on the absorption of carbohydrates into the bloodstream. The higher the fiber content, the slower the rate of entry. Remove the fiber and the rate of entry accelerates. So when juicing add some of the vegetable pulp back into your juice to get the needed fiber, and freely use ground flax seeds on all meals.
Remember, you won't burn fat if the liver is not working well and the colon is congested or constipated, so make you do a colon cleanse and a liver detox first.
Khabir Southwick, Naturopath, Ayurvedic Health-Care Practitioner, Herbalist, over 25 years of experience).
See details of Khabir's Weight-loss program here.