4th Annual Ayurvedic Workshop - Fort Kochi, Kerala, India 2019
Part of Khabir's certificate Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultant (ALC) & Ayurvedic Practitioner (AP) Programs
200 hour Herbal Pharmacology & Traditional Formulas of Ayurveda
Dec. 1st - Dec. 8th, 2019
Presented by Vaidya Khabir Southwick of Natural Healing Consultants of Ojai, CA. USA; Supported by Dr. Arun Ambu Kakkathara of Kerala Ayurveda Vaidyasala, Fort Kochi, Kerala, India.
* Prior training or knowledge of Ayurveda is required.
Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultant (ALC) & Ayurvedic Practitioner (AP) Programs
The four year program comprises two 7-day workshops in Rishikesh, India, two 8 day advanced workshops in Kerala, guided self-study of five textbooks and case study internship. These intensive workshops are presented for those who are interested in, studying or actively practicing [clinical] Ayurvedic Health-Care.
"This teaching format is for those who want an authentic and substantive hands-on training in Ayurvedic health-care (kayachikitsa) to be applied in clinical practice. Most courses on Ayurveda are more focused on theory than clinical application, or overly academic and requiring an understanding of Sanskrit terminology. The goal of these workshops is to help [western] students and practitioners of Ayurveda to better grasp the functional and clinical applications of Ayurveda. The classes are straightforward and clear; we're focusing on understanding Ayurveda deeply, as it is relevant to private practice." Khabir
Certificate of Achievement
Upon the successful completion of the workshop, a CERTIFICATE OF ACHIEVEMENT for the course, Herbal Pharmacology & Traditional Formulas of Ayurveda with 200 hours of study will be provided and signed by Khabir Southwick, in collaboration with Dr. Arun Ambu Kakkathara of Kerala Ayurveda Vaidyasala. The instructors and sponsors are pleased to provide this formal certificate course of study in Ayurvedic Healthcare. This course endeavors to provide a comprehensive and authentic, professional education for the health practitioner seeking to incorporate Ayurvedic medical principles into their existing practice, and those looking to enter the field of traditional Ayurvedic healthcare. A personalized certificate will be presented on the closing day for graduates.*
After the successful completion of the 4th course, an additional 300 hours of verified course study and apprenticeship totaling 1000 hours and other requirements a certificate as a qualified AYURVEDIC PRACTITIONER will be issued with the approval of the instructor(s).
* These certifications can be used when registering with Ayurveda associations and guilds.
This training program is based on the guidelines of the World Health Organization (WHO) Benchmarks for training in traditional / complementary and alternative medicine: benchmarks for training in Ayurveda & Government of India, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Department of Ayurveda, Yoga, Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy (AYUSH), New Delhi, India. (Reference Number: D.O. NO. 480 /Adviser (Ayurveda) / 2009, May 1st, 2009).
Hosted at Kerala Ayurveda Vaidyasala, Fort Kochi, Kerala, South India.
"Kerala Ayurveda Vaidyasala is run by a team of expert and adept physicians who diagnose and provide apt treatment and therapies for ailments of all kinds. Kerala Ayurveda Vaidyasala is equipped to masterfully provide all the modules of treatments envisaged in the ancient texts.
Aspects of Kerala Ayurveda Vaidyasala treatments are proper administration and application of herbal medicines, nutritional advice and guidance, exercise therapy, meditation and other special purification therapies for rejuvenation. We help the patients to imbibe the Ayurveda way of living for a healthy life.
Situated in the pristine backwaters of Kerala, Dr. Ambu and the team at Kerala Ayurveda Vaidyasala care for our in-patients, who can enjoy the well-furnished rooms, and homely food during the process of their treatment."
Khabir Southwick, an Ayurvedic Practitioner, is an international Ayurvedic health-care practitioner, master herbalist and public educator of natural health-care. For over 25 years, Khabir has helped thousands of people to naturally overcome a wide range of health conditions with Ayurvedic dietary changes, India and western herbal medicine and traditional home remedies. Khabir formulates and provides his own herbal teas and Ayurvedic formulas to address most health conditions. When in Ojai, Khabir maintains his health-care practice with local, national and international clients. He has provided hundreds of classes and workshops in Southern California and internationally in India, Morocco, France and the UAE. He also travels regularly to India for personal study, and to organize these Ayurveda courses and detoxification (panchakarma) retreats.
Khabir Southwick, a Registered Professional Ayurvedic Continuing Education (PACE) Provider by the Association of Ayurvedic Professionals of North America (AAPNA), issues certificates of completion for each workshop and provides certificates as an Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultant (ALC) & Ayurvedic Practitioner (AP) enabling the student to register with AAPNA and other Ayurvedic Associations.
Dr. Arun Ambu Kakkathara of Kerala Ayurveda Vaidyasala is a well-known Ayurvedic doctor with a large clinic in Fort Kochi, India. His specialty is muscular and skeletal conditions, with which he has had amazing success. His team at Kerala Ayurveda Vaidyasala covers a wide range of specialties, thus accommodating patients with many serious health conditions, using traditional herbal and panchakarma treatments. Kerala Ayurveda Vaidyasala was established back in the 1960s by the Famous Kakathara Raghavan Vaidyar, who acquired the extensive Traditional Ayurveda medicine knowledge directly from the Masters who practiced Ayurveda through the Gurukula System of Education prevailed in the ancient period.
Herbal Medicine Supplier
This course uses products by Vaidyaratnam and students will travel together to the Vaidyaratnam headquarters outside Fort Kochi and visit their museum and hospital, and speak with management and some of the head doctors. Vaidyaratnam Oushadhasala (Oushada means medicine and Sala is a building or institute) was instituted in 1941. Vaidyaratnam runs an NABH accredited nursing home by name Vaidyaratnam Nursing Home and an Ayurvedic Medical College apart from two ISO certified manufacturing plants in Thrissur and an R&D center. Vaidyaratnam has effective panchakarma based treatments for many chronic ailments which finds no permanent cure in modern medicine. Vaidyaratnam manufactures over 400 mostly traditional Ayurveda medicine products known to be of the highest quality in India.
Herbal Pharmacology and Traditional Formulas of Ayurveda
- Dec. 1st to Dec 8th, 2019
"In this course, we immerse in traditional herbal formulas by discussing, tasting and even trying each formula. To know an herb or a formula you have to feel it, and this type of immersion creates deep understanding that won't be forgotten..." Khabir
Textbook: Volume Three: General Principles of Management and Treatment by Vasant Lad (Amazon)
200 hours of training
- Self study before the course: 150 hours
- Teaching by Khabir (India) – 8 days, 30 hours
- Group and individual study in India: 20 hours
You will study the most popular classical formulations as outlined in the ancient Ayurvedic texts and learn to make herb formulas based on the Ayurvedic principles of combining herbs “Bhaisajya Kalpanaa”. Khabir adheres to the authentic methodologies, so you will be trained in the most traditional art of Ayurvedic formulation making.
You will learn to formulate simple herbal formulas using 50 of the most common ayurvedic herbs to address doshic imbalances of the doshas, digestion (agni), ama (toxins), the tissues (dhatus) and systems (srotomsi) of the body. Ten or more traditional Ayurvedic formulas will also be introduced. Participants will role play to practice prescribing herbal formulas for various health condtions and imbalances.
Review of 50 common herbs of Ayurveda as per the 3rd course.
Part 1: Understand Ayurvedic pharmacology “Bhaisajya Kalpanaa”.
- Why formulations instead of single herbs?
- Understanding Pratyanika (Herbs for the dosha, herbs for the disease, herbs for the tissue, herbs for the related systems)
- Five basic forms of formulation
- Dosage forms
- Ten types of times for the administration of medicine
- Understanding carriers of herbs (Anupana)
Part 2: Traditional Ayurvedic Formulas*
* By Vaidyaratnam, manufacturer or quality traditional ayurvedic formulas.
- The key features of traditional formulas
- Understanding the Tri-doshic formula
- Vaidyaratnam formulas (churnam, Ghritam, Rishtam or Kashayam) will be discussed and sampled each day for 6 days
Part 3: Herbal treatments for imbalances of dosha, dhatu, mala (Shamana Chikitsa)
Specific herbs to balance:
- Prana, Udana, Apana, Samana, Vyana vayu (Vata Sub-doshas)
- Panchaka, Ranjanka, Bhrajaka, Sadhaka, Alochoka pitta (Pitta Sub-doshas)
- Kledaka, Avalambaka, Bodhaka, Tarpaka, Shlechaka kapha (Kapha Sub-doshas)
- Manda, Tiksna, Vishama and Sama agni
- Prana, Tejas & Ojas
Herbal formulas and carriers for:
- The respiratory system (Prana Vayu Sotra)
- The digestive system (Anna Vayu Sotra)
- The water system (Ambu Vayu Sotra)
- Conditions of the lymph (Rasa Vayu Sotra & Dhatu)
- Conditions of the blood-liver-spleen (Rakta Vayu Sotra & Dhatu)
- Conditions of the muscles (Mamsa Vaha Sotra & Dhatu)
- Conditions of fat tissue (Meda Sotra & Dhatu)
- Conditions of the joints and bones (Ashti Vaha Sotra & Dhatu)
- Conditions of the nervous system (Medja Vayu Sotra & Dhatu)
- Conditions of the reproductive system male/female (Shukra/Artava Vayu Sotra & Dhatu)
- The colon (Purisha Vayu Sotra)
- The sweat glands (Sveda Vayu Sotra)
- The urinary system (Mutra Vayu Sotra)
- 2 hour trip Vaidyaratnam a leading provider of Ayurvedic herbal formula (used in this course)
- Visit Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda museum
- Visit Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda Hospital
- Visit Vaidyaratnam herbal garden
Teachings are based on classical teachings and not westernized but simplified without much use of sanskrit except for essential words.
US$850 for the 8-day workshop
Includes Accommodation for 7 nights, Certification of Completion for 200 hours of study and some meals: includes a private private room with an attached bathroom and room service, an evening dinner on the first day and breakfast on the last day. Additionally available: herbal shopping tours, room cleaning service, lectures by guest speakers, access to Panchakarma treatments at reduced rates, close-by shopping and local entertainment.
* Bring extra money for food, Panchakarma treatments, private consultations with respected Indian Ayurvedic doctors, herbal products, Indian clothes, and gifts. Transportation can be arranged from Fort Kochi International airport only 1 hour away by taxi.
* Textbook required: Textbook of Ayurveda, Volume Three: General Principles of Management and Treatment by Vasant Lad (new at $64 online)
Mail your check ($150 for the deposit or $850 for the complete course at this time) to 226 W. Ojai Ave. 101-177, Ojai, CA 93023 payable to Natural Healing Consultants of Ojai and note which course you're paying for. Alternatively, we can send an online invoice upon request that can be paid online.
To pay by credit card or Paypal: