4th Annual Ayurvedic Workshop - Fort Kochi, Kerala, India 2019
Advanced Ayurveda Workshop
Part of Khabir's certificate Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultant (ALC) & Ayurvedic Practitioner (AP) Programs
200 hour Herbology and Dietary Treatments of Ayurveda Workshop
Nov. 24th to Dec. 1st, 2019
Presented by Vaidya Khabir Southwick of Natural Healing Consultants of Ojai; supported by Dr. Arun Ambu Kakkathara of Kerala Ayurveda Vaidyasala
"In this course, we immerse in traditional herbal formulas by discussing, giving examples of application, tasting and even trying each formula. To know an herb you have to feel it, and this type of immersion creates a feeling that won't be forgotten..." Khabir
* Prior training or knowledge of Ayurveda is required.
Khabir's certificate Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultant (ALC) & Ayurvedic Practitioner (AP) Programs
These intensive workshops are presented for those who are interested in, studying or actively practicing [clinical] Ayurvedic health-care.
"This teaching format is for those who want an authentic and substantive hands-on training in Ayurvedic health-care (kayachikitsa) to be applied in clinical practice. Most courses on Ayurveda are more focused on theory than clinical application, or too academic and detailed, requiring the understanding of Sanskrit terminology. The goal of these workshops is to help [western] students and practitioners of Ayurveda to better grasp the functional and clinical applications of Ayurveda. The classes are straightforward and clear without much Sanskrit terminology." Khabir
Certificate of Achievement
Khabir Southwick is a Registered Professional Ayurvedic Continuing Education (PACE) Provider by the Association of Ayurvedic Professionals of North America (AAPNA) and will issue a CERTIFICATE OF ACHIEVEMENT for 200 hours, for the course, Herbology and Dietary Treatments of Ayurveda, in collaboration with Dr. Arun Ambu Kakkathara of Kerala Ayurveda Vaidyasala. A personalized certificate will be presented on the closing day for graduates.*
AYURVEDIC LIFESTYLE CONSULTANT (ALC)
Upon the successful completion of the first three workshops, with the approval of the instructor(s), students will receive a personalized certificate as a qualified AYURVEDIC LIFESTYLE CONSULTANT (ALC). This certificate along with a recommendation letter from one of the instructors will qualify the student to apply for membership as an AYURVEDIC LIFESTYLE CONSULTANT (ALC) with the Association of Ayurvedic Professionals of North America (AAPNA).
Hosted at Kerala Ayurveda Vaidyasala, Fort Kochi, Kerala.
"Kerala Ayurveda Vaidyasala is run by a team of expert and adept physicians who diagnose and provide apt treatment and therapies for ailments of all kinds. Kerala Ayurveda Vaidyasala is equipped to masterfully provide all the modules of treatments envisaged in the ancient texts.
Aspects of Kerala Ayurveda Vaidyasala treatments are proper administration and application of herbal medicines, nutritional advice and guidance, exercise therapy, meditation and other special purification therapies for rejuvenation. We help the patients to imbibe the Ayurveda way of living for a healthy life.
Situated in the pristine backwaters of Kerala, Dr. Ambu and the team at Kerala Ayurveda Vaidyasala care for our in-patients, who can enjoy the well-furnished rooms, and homely food during the process of their treatment."
Khabir Southwick, an Ayurvedic Practitioner, is an international Ayurvedic health-care practitioner, master herbalist and public educator of natural health-care. For over 25 years, Khabir has helped thousands of people to naturally overcome a wide range of health conditions with Ayurvedic dietary changes, India and western herbal medicine and traditional home remedies. Khabir formulates and provides his own herbal teas and Ayurvedic formulas to address most health conditions. When in Ojai, Khabir maintains his health-care practice with local, national and international clients. He has provided hundreds of classes and workshops in Southern California and internationally in India, Morocco, France, and the UAE. He also travels regularly to India for personal study, and to organize these Ayurveda courses and detoxification (panchakarma) retreats.
Khabir Southwick is a Registered Professional Ayurvedic Continuing Education (PACE) Provider by the Association of Ayurvedic Professionals of North America (AAPNA) who is authorized to issue certificates of completion for each workshop and provide certificates as an Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultant (ALC) & Ayurvedic Practitioner (AP) enabling the student to register with AAPNA and other Ayurvedic Associations, and obtain continuing education credits.
Dr. Arun Ambu Kakkathara of Kerala Ayurveda Vaidyasala is a well-known Ayurvedic doctor with a large clinic in Fort Kochi, India. His specialty is muscular and skeletal conditions, with which he has had amazing success. His team at Kerala Ayurveda Vaidyasala covers a wide range of specialties, thus accommodating patients with many serious health conditions, using traditional herbal and panchakarma treatments. Kerala Ayurveda Vaidyasala, was established back in the 1960s by the Famous Kakathara Raghavan Vaidyar, who acquired the extensive Traditional Ayurveda medicine knowledge directly from the Masters who practiced Ayurveda through the Gurukula System of Education prevailed in ancient period.
Herbology and Dietary Treatments of Ayurveda
- Nov. 24th to Dec. 1st, 2019, , Fort Kochi, Kerala, South India.
Textbooks: Ayurvedic Herbology East & West: A Practical Guide to Ayurvedic Herbal Medicine (on Amazon) and Ayurvedic Medicine for Westerners: Clinical Protocols & Treatments in Ayurveda (Volume 3) (on Amazon).
200 hours of training
- Self study before the course: 150 hours
- Teaching by Khabir (India) – 8 days, 30 hours
- Group and individual study in India: 20 hours
The main objective of this course is to understand the attributes (gunas), actions (karma) and taste (rasa) of most vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts, and other food items, and learn to form diets to therapeutically address specific health conditions (ahara chikitsa). Additionally, we will study 50 of the most common traditional ayurvedic herbs, and simple formulas to address doshic imbalances and the subdoshas. Participants will role-play daily to practice prescribing dietary and herbal formulas [based on the herbs covered in the lessons each day].
Daily: Introduction to 50 most used Ayurveda Herbs
- Sanskrit Name, Latin name, synonyms,
- Attributes, taste, potency, post digestive effects
- Action on doshas and tissues
- Internal uses, external uses, chemical compositions
Part 1: Using food as medicine (Ahara Chikitsa)
- Balancing Vata with food and eating habits
- Balancing Pitta with food and eating habits
- Balancing Kapha with food and eating habits
- Variations for kapha-vata, pitta-vata, kapha-pitta, etc.
Part 2: Principles of Ayurvedic Pharmacology (Dravya Guna)
- Types of herbal substances (dravyas)
- The 20 gunas (qualities) of herbal substances
- Tastes and energetics of herbal substances: Rasa, Virya, Vipak, Prabhava
- Actions of herbal substances: Karma
Part 3: Treatments for imbalances of dosha, dhatu, mala (Shamana Chikitsa)
Specific herbs to balance:
- Prana, Udana, Apana, Samana, Vyana vayu (Vata Sub-doshas)
- Panchaka, Ranjanka, Bhrajaka, Sadhaka, Alochoka pitta (Pitta Sub-doshas)
- Kledaka, Avalambaka, Bodhaka, Tarpaka, Shlechaka kapha (Kapha Sub-doshas)
- Manda, Tiksna, Vishama and Sama agni
- Prana, Tejas & Ojas
Dietary and herbal treatments for:
- The respiratory system (Prana Vayu Sotra)
- The digestive system (Anna Vayu Sotra)
- The water system (Ambu Vayu Sotra)
- Conditions of the lymph (Rasa Vayu Sotra & Dhatu)
- Conditions of the blood-liver-spleen (Rakta Vayu Sotra & Dhatu)
- Conditions of the muscles (Mamsa Vaha Sotra & Dhatu)
- Conditions of fat tissue (Meda Sotra & Dhatu)
- Conditions of the joints and bones (Ashti Vaha Sotra & Dhatu)
- Conditions of the nervous system (Medja Vayu Sotra & Dhatu)
- Conditions of the reproductive system male/female (Shukra/Artava Vayu Sotra & Dhatu)
- The colon (Purisha Vayu Sotra)
- The sweat glands (Sveda Vayu Sotra)
- The urinary system (Mutra Vayu Sotra)
US$750 for the 8-day workshop ($650 during the early bird special period)
Includes Accommodation for 7 nights, Certification of Completion for 200 hours of study and some meals: includes a private private room with an attached bathroom and room service, an evening dinner on the first day and breakfast on the last day. Additionally available: herbal shopping tours, room cleaning service, lectures by guest speakers, access to Panchakarma treatments at reduced rates, close-by shopping and local entertainment.
* Bring extra money for food, Panchakarma treatments, private consultations with respected Indian Ayurvedic doctors, herbal products, Indian clothes, and gifts. Transportation can be arranged from Fort Kochi International airport only 1 hour away by taxi.
* Textbooks required: Ayurvedic Herbology East & West: A Practical Guide to Ayurvedic Herbal Medicine (on Amazon) and Ayurvedic Medicine for Westerners: Clinical Protocols & Treatments in Ayurveda (Volume 3) (on Amazon).
Mail your check ($150 for the deposit or $750 for the complete course) to 226 W. Ojai Ave. 101-177, Ojai, CA 93023 payable to Natural Healing Consultants of Ojai and note which course you're paying for. Alternatively, we can send an online-printable invoice upon request.
To pay by credit card or Paypal: