4th Annual Ayurvedic Workshop - Rishikesh, India 2019
Part of Khabir's certificate Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultant (ALC) & Ayurvedic Practitioner (AP) Programs
150 Hour Fundamental Principles & Physiology of Ayurveda
Nov. 9th - 15th, 2019
AYURVEDIC HEALTH-CARE TRAINING FOR WESTERNERS
By Vaidya Khabir Southwick, supported by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurveda) of Planet Ayurveda and Dr. Rakesh Argwal of Maa Yoga Ashram.
Held at Maa Yoga Ashram, Laxman Jhula, Rishikesh, India.
|Sponsored by Planet Ayurveda, India. |
* No prior training or knowledge of Ayurveda is required.
A short video introduction to the course:
A detailed introduction to the course:
Khabir's certificate Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultant (ALC) & Ayurvedic Practitioner (AP) Programs
The two to four year program comprises two 7-day workshops in Rishikesh, India, two 8 day advanced workshops in Kerala and guided self-study of five textbooks. These intensive workshops are presented for those who are interested in, studying or actively practicing [clinical] Ayurvedic Health-Care.
"This teaching format is for those who want an authentic and substantive hands-on training in Ayurvedic health-care (kayachikitsa) to be applied in clinical practice. Most courses on Ayurveda are more focused on theory than clinical application, or overly academic and requiring an understanding of Sanskrit terminology. The goal of these workshops is to help [western] students and practitioners of Ayurveda to better grasp the functional and clinical applications of Ayurveda. The classes are straightforward and clear; we're focusing on understanding Ayurveda deeply, as it is relevant to private practice." Khabir
Certificate of Achievement
This course endeavors to provide a comprehensive and authentic, professional education for the health practitioner seeking to incorporate Ayurvedic diagnosis and treatment methods into their existing practice, and those looking to enter the field of traditional Ayurvedic health-care.
Upon the successful completion of this first workshop, a personalized CERTIFICATE OF ACHIEVEMENT for the course, Fundamental Principles & Physiology of Ayurveda (150 hours), will be provided by Planet Ayurveda and signed by Vaidya Khabir Southwick, PACE provider, Dr. Vikram Chauhan and Dr. Rakesh Argwal on behalf or Maa Yoga Ashram. The instructors and sponsors are pleased to provide this formal certificate course of study in traditional Ayurvedic Healthcare which can be used to obtain continuing education credits.
Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultant (ALC)
Upon the successful completion of the 3rd course, with the approval of the instructor(s), students will receive a personalized certificate as a qualified Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultant (ALC). This certificate along with a recommendation letter from one of the instructors will qualify the student to apply for membership as an Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultant (ALC) with the Association of Ayurvedic Professionals of North America (AAPNA).
Fundamental Principles and the Physiology of Ayurveda
- Nov. 9th to 15th, 2019
Requirements: This course should be taken prior to more advanced courses, in order to understand fundamental concepts of Ayurveda such as the tri-doshic theory, sub-doshas, gunas (qualities), dhatus (tissues), srotamsi (systems), agni (digestive fire & power of transformation), ojas (immunity and inner strength), ama (toxins and undigested food/materials), and other essential aspects of anatomy & functionality of the body according to Ayurveda.
Textbook: (not included) $19.95 (Amazon price without shipping)
150 hours of training
- Self study before the course: 100 hours
- Teaching by Khabir (India) – 7 days, 25 hours
- Group and individual study in India: 25 hours
This practical and intensive 7-day course will establish a strong foundation to the application of Ayurvedic diagnosis and treatment skills (since Ayurvedic anatomy is very different from the western system). Ayurvedic therapies are based on Ayurvedic anatomy and energetics, so it is essential to learn these fundamentals before proceeding with diagnostic skills, herbology (dravya guna), dietary counseling (ahara chikitsa), panchakarma (five types of detoxification therapies) and rasayana (rejuvenation therapy).
Develop a thorough foundation in understanding Ayurveda by learning about the Ayurvedic perspective of the human body: Anatomy and Physiology
Learn to view the human body, its functions, and imbalances in terms of the doshas (Vata, Pitta & Kapha), 15 sub-doshas, 7 dhatus (tissues) and 16 srotamsi (systems), waste products (mala), prana (life force), ojas (immunity), etc.
Part 1: Fundamental Principles of Ayurveda
- Understanding the 5 elements – Akasha (Space), Vayu (Air), Jal (Water), Agni (Fire) and Prithvi (Earth) and their attributes (gunas).
- Understand clearly the Tri-doshic theory (Vata, Pitta, Kapha), the 15 Sub Doshas, their locations and qualities.
- Learn how every physical characteristic, as well as one's mental capacity and emotional tendencies can be explained in terms of the doshas.
Part 2: Ayurvedic Anatomy and Energetics
- Learn about the concepts of Prakruti (original constitution or "body type") & Vikruti (current doshic imbalances)*.
- Understand Agni (digestive fire) - Learning about the roles and functions of Agni, the main types of Agni, tiksna agni (high/sharp), vishama agni (variable), manda agni (dull), sama agni (balanced), and the subtypes of Agni.
- Learn about Ama (metabolic toxins) and Malas (body's waste products): Understand the three primary malas being Purisha (feces), Mutra (urine) and Sveda (sweat), types and causes of Ama.
- Learn about the 7 Dhatus (body tissues): the Rasa Dhatu (fluid), Rakta Dhatu (blood), Mamsa Dhatu (muscle tissue), Meda Dhatu (fat/adipose tissue), Majja Dhatu (bone marrow and nerves) and Shukra Dhatu (reproductive tissue). Learn how Dhatus successively nourish each other, and how the state of each tissue forms a pillar of health, or when imbalanced deteriorates the body's ability to maintain homeostasis.
- Learn about 14 Srotamsi (channels or systems) [essential for clinical practice]: 3 channels that receive food, water and prana (life-force energy); 7 bodily channels which nourish and maintain the body's tissues (dhatus); 3 eliminating channels for feces, urine and sweat; the manovaha srota (the channel of the mind).
- Learn about the subtle qualities and functionality of Prana (life-force energy), Tejas (metabolic fire) and Ojas (immunity).
- Understanding the three gunas - Sattva, Rajas and Tamas (states of mind and being), and their essential components or energies.
Part 3: Review and apply knowledge of Ayurveda anatomy
- Each participant will describe their individual:
- Prakruti (original body-mind type) and Vikruti (current doshic imbalances) and sub-dosha imbalances
- State of Agni and Ama
- State of each Dhatu (tissue) and the respective Srotamsi (channels)
- State of Prana, Tejas and Ojas
- State of mind based on the gunas: Sattva, Rajas, Tamas.
* A self-study outline will be provided at the time of registration, to be completed before the course. Daily reading material is provided the day before each class from the textbook. Sanskrit words that are important in clinical Ayurveda will be thoroughly explained.
Certificate presentation at end of course
"Another wonderful Ayurveda workshop at Khabir's! Everyone would benefit from this well-organized workshop . . . . Thank you Khabir for sharing your amazing knowledge." Ilse Oliver, Ventura, CA
Vegetarian dinner will be provided in Maa Yoga Ashram, a beautiful private ashram close to the Ganges river in Laxman Jhula area, Rishikesh India.
* Dinner and teas are included in the cost of the workshop.
US$550 for the 7-day workshop
Includes dinner, accommodation for 6 nights and a certificate of accomplishment for 150 hours of study (100 hours of guided self-study prior to the course, 50 hours of intensive study in India.) Price includes a private "cottage" with an attached bathroom and available room and laundry service, arrival and introductory dinner on the first day, and conclusory breakfast on the last day. The course also includes an herbal shopping tour, handouts, lectures by guest speakers, access to Panchakarma treatments at reduced rates, close-by shopping and musical entertainment some nights
* Bring extra money for food, an optional yoga class in the morning, Panchakarma treatments, private consultations with Ayurvedic doctors, herbal products, Indian clothes, and gifts. **Transportation can be arranged from New Delhi, Chandigarh or Dehradun, India airports by taxi (6 hours, 5 hours or 1.5 hours respectively).
* 100 hours of guided prior study of textbook required; guidelines to be provided upon registration.
Mail your check ($150 for the deposit or $500 for the complete course, during the early bird period) to 226 W. Ojai Ave. 101-177, Ojai, CA 93023 payable to Natural Healing Consultants of Ojai and note which course you're paying for. Alternatively, we can send an online invoice upon request that can be paid online.
To pay by credit card or Paypal:
Pay $150 deposit by credit card - Balance is due before September 1st.
Pay $500 by credit card or Paypal - SAVE $50 during early bird discount period.
Presenter and Organizer
Khabir Southwick, is an international Ayurvedic health-care practitioner, master herbalist and public educator of natural health-care. For over 25 years, Khabir has helped thousands of people to naturally overcome a wide range of health conditions with individualized Ayurvedic herbal & dietary protocols, Indian and western herbal medicines, and traditional home remedies. When in Ojai, Khabir maintains his health-care practice with local, national and international clients. He has provided hundreds of classes and workshops in Southern California and internationally in India, France, Morocco, and the UAE. He travels regularly to India for personal study, to organize these Ayurveda workshops and lead his annual detoxification (panchakarma) retreat. (Details)
Khabir Southwick is a Registered Professional Ayurvedic Continuing Education (PACE) Provider by the Association of Ayurvedic Professionals of North America (AAPNA) who is authorized to issue certificates of completion for each workshop and provide certificates as an Ayurvedic Health Counselor (AHC) & Ayurvedic Practitioner (AP) enabling the student to register with AAPNA and other Ayurvedic Associations, and obtain continuing education credits.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan BAMS, MD (AYURVEDA) a well-known Ayurvedic doctor with a large and busy clinic in Chandigarh, India; owner of Planet Ayurveda - worldwide distributor of high-quality Ayurvedic products. Dr. Vikram is a highly experienced Ayurvedic doctor who had great success in treating many advanced health conditions with his herbal products. He and Khabir designed the course together, and his expertise in clinical Ayurvedic practice adds to the value of the certificate.
Testimonial regarding the program by Dr. Vikram,
"He is an eager learner and he is also a very good teacher. Not only learner but [he is a] good teacher. I have seen him teaching in Rishikesh and all the students have very good words for him. I have seen the teachings myself. Whatever topics he is teaching, I think they should be taught in all the Ayurveda institutes. They should be covered by all the Ayurveda institutes, not only in America but also in India. He is teaching in a very precise way and a very elaborate way at the same time. That is very much practical knowledge that he is giving to his students. I wish him very good luck for his future courses." Dr. Vikram Chauhan, Founder – Planet Ayurveda Products, Planet Ayurveda Clinic, and Krishna Herbal Company, Chandigarh, India. Nov. 2017
Video Testimonials from 2018
Video Testimonials from 2017
"Khabir is a Master of the herbs! Even though I was already an Ayurvedic counselor, I have taken three courses in India with Khabir in addition to my studies, to learn from Khabir what I could not have learned from any other course or book studies. . . . the hands-on practice, his vast knowledge on the subject of Ayurveda and his "life long" experience with the herbs and remedies is what he has to offer to his students and clients alike. This cannot be found in the books. Khabir is very well respected in the Ayurveda community in India as well and the doctors there treat him like one of them. Khabir is a true Master of the Herbs and he cares. It is his passion, his life, and his profession. Ayurveda is his Dharma." Ilse Oliver, Ventura, April 2018
"I have learned a great deal about Ayurveda in India form Khabir. I learned from several great Indian doctors one-on-one. Classes started early at breakfast with questioning and reviews then regular topics with tea we continued until lunch break and time to shop. We meet at the ashram for dinner and more teaching that sometimes late into the evening. We also went several times to Herb shops to learn which herbs were the best for each constitution to restore balance. There is a nice graduation ceremony at the Ashram at the completion of each course. Khabir's assistant Jade was a big help. In my opinion, this is the best, fastest, and least expensive way of becoming an Ayurvedic Practitioner while having the experience of Indian Culture. I highly recommend it! Sangjay D. Yoga Teacher - Ventura CA, April 2019
"I ventured to India to join up with Khabir and other students and learn about the philosophy of Ayurveda [course #1] as well as an array of diagnostic methods [course #2] and basic principles to help me begin my journey towards healing others. Through Khabir's great guidance and deep wisdom, I gained a much deeper insight into the workings of Ayurveda, and am confident in my progression and knowledge. If you're looking to be healed or to learn to heal others, look no further than Khabir Southwick :)" Sean Moran, Ventura, CA, April 2019
"Khabir is an excellent teacher who has helped me to gain a high level of knowledge regarding Ayurveda. I attended all three of his courses in India. In all the time I've spent with him, I've found his knowledge to be practical, and highly valuable. He's chosen to focus his teachings on that which is relevant to clinical practice of Ayurvedic herbalism. Under his guidance, I've learned a great deal about Ayurvedic fundamentals and theory, which I've been able to apply to my understanding of the human body and of the world. From his diagnostic courses, I've learned to read the pulse, tongue and body to ascertain the state of toxins, and the state of the doshas. This has been highly valuable to my own self-care, and to my ability to care for those around me. From his teachings and guidance on herbalism, I've learned thoroughly about many herbs and traditional formulas of Ayurveda. This is highly impressive, as there is no way I could have learned this much without a teacher. Thank you Khabir, for all the effort and energy you put into sharing the wisdom teachings of Ayurveda; for myself and your other devoted students, it is a true gift to have you as our teacher." Jade Crawford, Ojai, CA April 2019
"Thanks you Khabir for teaching us [in 2016] in a clear and practical "western" style about such a subtle eastern science" Corinne, France